Microsoft money replacement
Have you been using Microsoft Money, but are now looking for an replacement/alternative?
Join the club.
I searched for months to find financial tracking software that works for me and have used everything on this page at one time or another.
Mint.com a free replacement that works great
- Mint.com is a FREE online alternative to Microsoft Money. I have personally tested and used Mint.com and recommend it as the best free alternative. Another free option would of course be to use a spreadsheet.
YNAB and other non-free alternatives
- You Need A Budget (YNAB) – In my opinion, this is the best budgeting software on the market… and they offer a generous 60-day free trial. Many PF Bloggers use YNAB to manage their finances.
- Mvelopes – Applies financial software technology to the traditional envelope method of budgeting and is another popular choice among PF Bloggers. They offer a 14-day free trial and their prices are as follows: Quarterly = $39.60 ($13.20/mth) – 1 Yr = $129.60 $10.80/mth) – 2 Yr = $189.60 ($7.90/mth)
- Quicken – Touted as America’s #1 Personal Finance software, Quicken offers a variety of products ranging from $0 (online version) to $99 (business version).
Google personal finance templates
I am not opposed to paying for software, but I am also not afraid to examine free tools to see if they meet my needs. There are a lot of useful templates Google Docs inventories, I tested many before deciding to create my own from a template. I especially like the rating system, which allows me to see which templates have been more useful to more users without having to waste my time trying each one.
- Manage Your Expenses – This section mostly gives you a choice between Family Budgets or Personal Budgets, but also has several spreadsheet templates for Wedding Budgets and even offers a Home Improvement Spreadsheet.
- Pay Off Your Debt – This section is currently offering payment calculators. Specifically there is a Credit Card Payoff Calculator, a Mortgage Payoff Calculator, and a Simple Loan Calculator.
- Grow Your Savings – This section offers several tools to help you get you manage and grow your savings account including registers, ledgers, & calculators.
What do I use?
Betterment is one of my two favorite ways to earn interest on my savings! They have an awesome program for the Average Joe to save and invest simply and effectively. There are no minimum balance requirements and no transaction fees. Read my Betterment Review or open an account to get started earning now.