In the midst of all of the advertising we’re bombarded with on a daily basis it’s easy to let the ads do our thinking for us… I just did it the other day.
I needed envelopes and instead of thinking where I could get the best deal, I just ran out to Staples where I picked up a 125 pack of security envelopes for about $13 after tax. I thought the price was about double what it should be but needed the envelopes and figured I just had to bite the bullet… so I did.
The next day Betsy made me stop at the dollar store for something she needed and guess what I saw… security envelopes… for a dollar. There were only 40 in a pack, but that’s still 4x cheaper than Staples, for the same product. Why so much cheaper? It’s thanks to all that advertising that made me think of Staples before the Dollar Store!
Luckily I hadn’t busted into the pack of envelopes from Staples yet, so I purchased the Dollar Store envelopes and plan to return the envelopes to Staples next time I’m out running errands.
Moral of the story? We can’t forget to rediscover our Dollar Stores, and to cut through all the advertising and think for ourselves!
From other great PF blogs
- Happily Ever After: Money Matters You MUST Discuss Before Marriage
- Home Equity Loan vs. a Hone Equity Line of Credit.
- What A Financial Advisor Can And Cannot Do For You
- Picking Mutual Funds: Don’t Just Look at the Winners
- The Mortgage Tax Deduction Myth
- 8 Reasons To Use Your Credit Card
- How to unlock your Ontario LIRA or locked-in retirement account
- How To Teach Kids About Money And Get Results
- How to Start a Business with No Money | Want it Bad Enough?
- Zions Bank Review
- Education Tax Credits Can Help Pay For College Costs
- Save Money By Joining a CSA
- Spousal Benefits and Social Security Strategies for Married Couples – When it comes to Social Security benefits for a married couple, choosing the right strategy matters.
- The Best Airline Miles Credit Cards
- Why Chasing Bank Interest Rates is a Waste
- Do You Really Want to be Your Own Boss?
- Don’t Chase High Dividend Stocks
- The Case for Automating your Finances
Betterment is one of my two favorite ways to earn interest on my savings! They have an awesome program for the Average Joe to save and invest simply and effectively. There are no minimum balance requirements and no transaction fees. Read my Betterment Review or open an account to get started earning now.