Jabs family garden plans 2010
You may remember that we fancy ourselves amateur gardeners, and while we never grow a lot, we do like to grow at least some of the things we love to eat. When you grow your own… you know how it was grown, how it was fertilized, and where it comes from – and we love that. We also rather enjoy paying $2.00 for a plant that grows to produce 10x its cost in delicious bounty, and we love walking 30 feet to get it… we think it’s a darn good ROI.
This week we weeded the garden and readied the homemade organic fertilizer from our diy vermicompost bin. Now all we have left to do is plant, which will only take about an hour. In the photo you can see our new plants on the left, both our garden beds in the middle (with the herbs already present in the small bed,) and our rain barrel on the right.
One other thing worth mentioning is that our Thyme and Sage plants are apparently perennial… we did not know that and seeing them come up on their own was a pleasant surprise. Another thing that came up on it own was the Cilantro from the Coriander seeds I planted last summer. I had forgotten about them because they never came up last year, but they sprouted all over the place so far this year. Cool stuff.
This year we have:
- Tomato (Rutgers, Primtimes, and Sungold cherries)
- Lettuce (Green leaf and Oak leaf)
- Cayenne Peppers
Although we are yet undecided, we may supplement what we are growing with a local CSA membership. Either way, we cannot wait to taste our homegrown veggies, and cannot wait to break in our pressure canner to preserve whatever we cannot eat or turn into salsa. What about you, are you growing a garden this year?
Link rally for this week
- Saving Money Tip: Open Source Software by Jeff
- Buying a House? Is it an investment or a home? by Craig Ford
- Roth IRA Rules and Information by Mike Piper
- How to Become a Financial Planner by Wealth Pilgrim
- The Good News and Bad News of Recessionary Wages by Coupon Sherpa
- YNAB iPhone Review by Paul @ FiscalGeek
- Facing Our Financial Problems by Gary Foreman
- Credit Card Limit: Are You Getting What You Deserve? by PT
- Traditional And Roth IRA Contribution Limits And Phase Outs by Money Smarts
- Paying For Self-Employed Health Insurance by Jeff Rose, CFP®
- Life Insurance Comparison by Consumer Boomer
- Bloggers and Their Relationship with Money by The Financial Blogger
- Survival Guide to Recession by Panda Mike
- How to Overcome Pitfalls of Zero Based Budget Planning Process by Wealth Pilgrim
- How College Graduates Should Build Credit by PT
- Things To Know About Roth IRA Rules For 2010 by Money Smarts
- Term Life Insurance Rates by Jeff Rose, CFP®
- Things that broke people do by FinancialBondage.org