Let’s face it, hunting for auto or home insurance is a pain. It’s a numbers game and it can take you weeks just to sift and sort through rates.
Who has time for that? Thankfully, we live in the information age and there are services out there that can help. Today we’re reviewing one of those services, a relative newcomer called Gabi.
So, how does it rate?
We’ll give you the scoop about what Gabi is, how it works, and how it rates against competitors so that you can decide if this is a time-saver or not worth your while. Let’s take a closer look at Gabi Insurance and the service that they provide!
What Is Gabi?
Gabi is a nifty little bit of modern technology. Licensed to broker insurance in 50 states, Gabi’s ‘gimmick’ is that instead of giving a list of places and rates, they will ask you about your needs and sift through that information to simply find you the best rate.
How Does Gabi Work?
This is where things get interesting. You can give Gabi information about your current insurance plan and from there, it compares it to more than 40 top providers that are part of its network. Many of these are major players in the insurance industry, so you don’t have to worry that you’re being ‘pawned’ on a potentially unreliable ‘underdog’ provider.
If your current plan is the best rate, Gabi will tell you this, and if you don’t have a plan at all yet then you can simply answer a series of questions and Gabi will find you a provider within seconds. Oh, did we mention that Gabi also scans your driving record?
It’s impressive technology and we have a feeling that they’re on to something here.
Gabi also lets you enter in more variables in your search, such as student or senior-level coverage, and can help in finding discounts for purchasing coverage for multiple vehicles.
As far as homeowners insurance, Gabi helps to make sure that you aren’t missing out on potential rate-changers, such as previous claim-free years or owning a top-of-the-line home security system.
Everything gets factored in so that you can instantly get the lowest rate possible without having to read through 30+ projections and listings.
It’s basically like having an independent insurance agent at your beck and call, who can do the work of days in mere seconds or minutes.
Doe Gabi Include Major Providers?
We’d mentioned that several major providers are covered. Here are a few examples of members of Gabi’s network of providers to give you an idea:
- Mercury Insurance
Does It Cost To Use Gabi?
Gabi is a free-to-use, deriving their capital from the insurance companies that they are referring you to, rather than you paying anything. All you need to do is go to their website and you can use the tool completely free of charge.
What Makes Gabi Different from the Competition?
One very important distinction that Gabi makes is that they are not an aggregator. An aggregator makes a commission redirecting you to another provider and also makes money from selling your personal data.
Gabi is not an aggregator, but a broker, and as such, they sell you the policy directly and they provide you with service throughout the life of the policy that you’ve selected. This is a notable difference, as it were, as most of the ‘referral’ companies out there are contributing to the huge amount of spam that you are getting daily.
It’s refreshing to be able to use a service without the worry of that, so we are giving Gabi a thumbs-up on this aspect.
They also take things a step further, as their money-saving proprietary AI continues to search for savings throughout the lifetime of your policy. This way, you may take advantage of lower rates with other providers as they come available.
This takes out the need to constantly review your insurance out of worry and as such, saves you even more time in the long run.
The Breakdown: How Does Gabi Rate in Actual Use
The actual experience is very streamlined. You upload your current provider information, Gabi searches this and your driving record, and you are presented with quotes. When you select a quote you are given a chance to purchase said insurance but you will still need to cancel your old policy.
You will also need to find out your current provider’s refund policy if you already have insurance. While most providers will give you a prorated refund, you’ll still need to calculate the difference to determine if you are still saving. Aside from automating this portion of the experience, Gabi seems quite useful.
What We Liked About Gabi
We liked a lot of things about Gabi and we’ll sum them up below:
- Savings – Comparing rates through competitors’ searches, the information appears good so you can indeed save money. Gabi reportedly saves customers about $800 on average and we’re inclined to believe that. The tool seems to work as advertised.
- Ease of use – It’s nice being able to use your existing policy, as most of us have spent a good amount of time selecting exactly the right coverage in the first place. This option means that you don’t have to worry about losing any coverage that you already have by accident and that gives a little peace of mind.
- Wide coverage range and major providers – With 40+ providers and a wide range of different coverage types that you can purchase, Gabi should fit the needs of just about anyone who needs auto or home insurance.
- Quote bundles are available – Gabi lets you do searches for home and auto insurance bundles, which can save you money and make it easier to manage your coverage. This is a nice option that not all providers give you.
- Privacy – It’s a breath of fresh air not having your personal information blasted all over the internet and that’s not something that you see every day with this kind of service.
Where We Felt Gabi Could Use Some Improvement
Every service has its caveats and here is where we felt that Gabi could use some improvements:
- While they have a lot of providers, we would like if their network was expanded to include more than their current 40+ as there are likely still some deals out there being missed.
- The quote that you are given still has to be reviewed by the actual insurance company, so there could be changes. This is something to consider before canceling your old policy.
- Gabi doesn’t read .pdf files very well and so if you upload a .pdf of your policy then you will have to wait for them to report back. This can take up to 2 days, so we were a little disappointed there.
The Final Verdict
All in all, we have to say that we were impressed with Gabi’s innovative business model. You essentially get the services of a dedicated independent agent with everything being done at the speed of a machine. While we hope they expand their network a bit, our testing indicated that the savings were indeed significant.
Consider our verdict a solid thumbs-up for Gabi and we’re looking forward to seeing what they do in the future. In the meantime, you don’t have to take our word for it.
Feel free to give them a test so that you can see it for yourself. As Gabi does not sell your information, you won’t be added to any mailing lists and the service is free to use.
We think that you might be pleasantly surprised!
Image by:[Samad Murghal]