There are many ways to reduce costs in our every day lives, so to help do just that each Monday I will post a money saving “Tip of the Week”.
This weeks tip involves…making your own homemade cleaning products!
If you ask my wife, I have been going on and on about making my own homemade cleaning products for about a year now. She just gives me that “yeah sounds like a great idea, why don’t you run with that” look and goes about her business. What I really desire is for HER to become interested in the several benefits of such an endeavor and make it her own…but I won’t hold my breath! 🙂
Reasons for Making Your Own:
- You wallet will be fatter! A lot of homemade cleaners are made from cheap ingredients like white vinegar & ammonia, which are both much less expensive in volume than a bottle of Windex.
- Although I do not endorse the way the world has erroneously rallied behind “environmentalism”. Making your own household cleaning products is a solid way to make a positive impact on the world around you. In doing so you are sending a message to cleaning products manufacturers that you want a better, more sustainable, less expensive product.
- Improved self-reliance. What if Walmart stores were not open any longer? How would you clean your living quarters? If you have experience making your own products you won’t have to worry about it! Also, your knowledge & experience will be a blessing to your friends, family, & neighbors.
- The snowball effect. Starting down a road of frugality and self-reliance will ultimately bring you more of the same. This endeavor will more than likely kick-start other similar money saving ventures.
- I have listed just a few of benefits to making your own homemade cleaning products, there are many more…share more reasons by leaving your comment below.
Sounds Great…Let’s Get Started!
To commence your homemade cleaning products adventure go to Sam’s Club or COSTCO and pick up some empty commercial spray bottles. After looking around the web a little I noticed that Sam’s Club has the same product as Amazon but for about half the price! Want to start cheaper still? Simply save the empty bottles from your current cleaning products and use them.
And now for the big secret…THE RECIPES!! Well, it’s not that big of a secret…here is an indispensable article for homemade cleaning products recipes from TipNut.com.
This information should help give you a strong start. Make sure to come back to DebtFreeAdventure.com and let us share in your progress! I too intend to post articles referencing the way my wife & I are implementing the tips given here at DFA. Until next time…
Click here to see all past DFA Tips of the Week.